Parking, Transit, and Traffic Information
On Wednesday, April 16, the Virginia Tech Day of Remembrance will be held in honor of those lost a year ago. The University Commemoration and the Candlelight Vigil will be held at the memorial on the Drillfield. The service will be held at 10:30 a.m. and the vigil will be held at 7:45 p.m.
As a result of the planned events and the large number of anticipated attendees, on-campus traffic and parking will be affected.
Those planning to attend the scheduled events are strongly encouraged to carpool, as parking will be very limited and Blacksburg Transit will be running on break service. Please take advantage of alternative modes of transportation.
Blacksburg Transit ~ Shuttle Service
Blacksburg Transit (BT) will be running normal routes through close of business on April 15. BT will run on break service on April 16 until the close of business (see their website for more details). BT will return to normal service for all routes beginning on April 17.
- Beginning April 16, no buses will be allowed on Drillfield Drive except for shuttles serving the University Commemoration and the Candlelight Vigil.
- Blacksburg Transit will be providing a shuttle service from Perry Street to the War Memorial Gym to support the two main events.
- The BT shuttle for the University Commemoration will begin at 9:30 a.m. and run until 10:20 a.m. The shuttle will not run after 10:20 a.m. until the conclusion of the ceremony (approximately 11:30 am) and will then run for approximately an hour.
- The BT shuttle for the Candlelight Vigil will begin running at 6:45 p.m. until 7:35 p.m. The shuttle will not run after 7:35 p.m. until the conclusion of the ceremony (approximately 9-9:30 pm) and will then run for approximately an hour.
- BT will run a handicapped accessible shuttle from the designated handicapped parking in the Perry Street Lot and will drop off in between Patton Hall and Burruss Hall.
For more information concerning the shuttle service on April 16, please call Blacksburg Transit at (540) 961-1185 or check their website.
- Public parking for all attendees of the University Commemoration and the Candlelight Vigil will be in the large commuter lots between Prices Fork Road and Perry Street (see map).
- No parking permits will be required on April 16.
- Parking for handicapped/accessible customers will be located at Perry Street Lot 2 (see map).
- The following parking lots will be closed to public access beginning April 15 at 5 p.m. until April 16 at 10 p.m.:
> Drillfield Drive (both north and south sides)
> Old Turner Street Lot (between Randolph and Norris halls)
> Solitude Lot (by Solitude and Wright Houses)
- The Rec Fields (off Tech Center Drive), Health and Safety, and Track and Field Lots will be reserved for media vehicles only beginning April 15 at 7 a.m. until April 17 at 7 a.m.
For more information concerning parking on April 16, please call Parking Services at (540) 231-3200 or check their website.
- Drillfield Drive (north and south) as well as Old Turner Street will be closed to all vehicle traffic beginning April 15 at 5 p.m. and will remain closed until April 16 at 10 p.m.
- Washington Street will be open to all traffic during the entire week of April 14-18. It will close to traffic on April 19 at 7 a.m.
For more information concerning traffic on April 16, please call Mike Dunn at (540) 231-7641.